Senator Tillis faced strong criticism over the weekend after he was caught not wearing a mask at the White House RNC event after criticizing others for not following COVID precautions. Tillis joined more than 1,000 people at the White House and initially posed for a photo in his mask before later in the evening being caught without one on. As AP noted, “There sat Tillis within the tightly packed, largely unmasked crowd, also not wearing a mask.”
Tillis’ hypocrisy is the latest clear example of why North Carolinians don’t trust him. Senator Tillis has routinely said one thing and done another, like when he humiliated himself by flip flopping on the President’s emergency declaration. It’s why, as one non-partisan analyst noted, “voters of all ideological stripes simply don’t trust Tillis.”
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Associated Press: Tillis apologizes for failing to keep mask on at White House
By Gary D. Robertson
August 28, 2020
- North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis said on Friday he “fell short of my own standard” by failing to keep his face mask on in the White House crowd while listening to President Donald Trump accept the Republican nomination.
- Tillis, who is in a tough reelection bid against Democrat Cal Cunningham, has been consistently talking up face coverings as a chief method to slow the spread of COVID-19. At dozens of virtual town hall meetings, he’s urged participants to wear them when near others.
- Tillis’ campaign tweeted a picture of the first-term senator wearing a mask on the South Lawn of the White House on Thursday night before Trump’s speech. But other media outlets later showed images of the crowd during the speech. There sat Tillis within the tightly packed, largely unmasked crowd, also not wearing a mask.
- Tillis tried to spin his mistake into an attack on Cunningham, who has been shown to be leading in several polls and outraised Tillis during the two previous quarters.
CBS17: Sen. Tillis says he ‘fell short’ by not wearing a mask while attending president’s RNC speech
By CBS 17 Digital Desk
August 28, 2020
Read more about the latest example of why North Carolinians can’t trust Tillis:
- News & Observer: Maskless At Trump Acceptance Speech, Tillis Says: ‘I Fell Short Of My Own Standard’
- Huffington Post: GOP Senator Now Sorry For Not Wearing A Face Mask At Trump’s RNC White House Speech
- American Independent: GOP Senator Spotted Without Mask At Convention After Urging People To Wear Them
- Policy Watch: Tillis locates his mask