WHAT IS VOTE BY MAIL (aka Absentee Voting)?
Voting by Mail is just what it sounds like! You get to submit your ballot through the mail, without having to go to the polls in person. It’s an easy, secure, and safe way of participating in our democracy.
Your completed Mail-In Ballot Request Form must be received by your county board of elections office no later than 5 p.m. on Tuesday, October 27th — but the earlier the better! Go ahead and submit the form while you’re thinking about it!
HOW DO I VOTE BY MAIL?
Voting by Mail is easy! Here’s what you have to do:
Start by submitting a Mail-In Ballot Request form! This request form lets Election officials know they should send you a ballot for the 2020 election.
You can submit your Request Form lots of different ways! Pick the one that makes the most sense for you:
- 💻Online: Fill out the online Mail-in Ballot Request form, which you can find here: https://votebymail.ncsbe.gov/app/home
- 📧Through email: Complete the form and send it to your local County Board of Elections email*
- 📠 By fax: Complete the form and send it to your local County Board of Elections fax number*
- 📫Through the mail: Complete the form and mail it to your local County Board of Elections*
- 🙋In-person: Complete the form and drop it off at your local County Board of Elections*
*To find your County Board of Elections contact information and address click here.
One week after your submit your Mail-In Ballot Request Form, call your local board of elections to make sure they have received it and that it has been approved! Then, you just get to sit back and wait for your ballot to get sent straight to your door. Counties will begin mailing ballots in early September.
Once you receive your ballot in the mail, fill it out!
- Fill out your ballot in the presence of 1 witness. Your witness can your roommate, your sibling, your mom, your neighbor, your friend, anyone, as long as they are 18 or older!
- Put your ballot back in the envelope they provide and fill out the information. Then you and your 1 witness will sign it.
- Once you’re done filling it out, put a stamp on it and return it to your local County Board of Elections or drop it off!
- Your completed Ballot must be postmarked no later than 5:00 pm on Election Day, Tuesday, November 3rd, and received by your county board of elections no later than 5:00 pm on Friday, November 6th.
- Next, track your ballot! Visit northcarolina.ballottrax.net/voter, put in your information, and see what step of the process your vote is in! It’s as easy as that. Remember to follow-up and make sure your voice gets heard in this incredibly important election!
- After that, you are all done! You voted!
If you have any questions about Voting by Mail, please give our Voter Assistance Hotline a call at 1-833-868-3462!
Our team is standing by to help.