WHAT IS VOTE BY MAIL (aka Absentee Voting)?
Voting by Mail is just what it sounds like! You get to submit your ballot through the mail, without having to go to the polls in person. It’s an easy, secure, and safe way of participating in our democracy.
ANY registered North Carolina voter can Vote by Mail — no excuses or special circumstances required!
HOW DO I VOTE BY MAIL?
Voting by Mail is easy! Here’s what you have to do:
Start by submitting a Mail-In Ballot Request form! This request form lets Election officials know they should send you a ballot for the upcoming election.
You can submit your Request Form lots of different ways! Pick the one that makes the most sense for you:
- 💻Online: Fill out the online Mail-in Ballot Request form, which you can find here: https://votebymail.ncsbe.gov/app/home
- 📧Through email: Complete the form and send it to your local County Board of Elections email*
- 📠 By fax: Complete the form and send it to your local County Board of Elections fax number*
- 📫Through the mail: Complete the form and mail it to your local County Board of Elections*
- 🙋In-person: Complete the form and drop it off at your local County Board of Elections*
*To find your County Board of Elections contact information and address click here.
HOW DO I RETURN MY MAIL-IN BALLOT?
As soon as you receive your ballot in the mail, fill it out and return it or drop-it off ASAP!
- Fill out your ballot in the presence of 2 witnesses or a notary public. Your witness can be your roommate, your sibling, your mom, your neighbor, your friend, anyone, as long as they are 18 or older! Your notary public or two witnesses should observe that you mark the ballot, not how you vote.
- Put your ballot back in the envelope they provide and fill out all the information. It requires:
- Voter’s signature
- Witness’ printed name and signature
- Witness’ address
- Once you’re done filling it out, put a stamp on it and return it to your local County Board of Elections or hand-deliver it to your County Board of Elections!
For more information, please visit the NC Board of Elections website.
HOW DO I MAKE SURE MY VOTE WAS COUNTED?
It’s important to follow-up and make sure your absentee ballot was accepted! You can check the status of your vote using the official North Carolina BallotTrax portal.
If you made an error or omission on your absentee ballot, it might have been rejected. But there are simple steps to take to ensure that your vote counts! Here are your options.
- Option 1: Vote at One-Stop Early Voting Site
- Vote at a One Stop Early Vote Site. Go to vt.ncsbe.gov/ossite/ to look up your nearest Early Vote Site.
- Option 2: Correct Your Absentee Ballot
- Your County Board of Elections will be in touch with you on steps to correct your ballot. You can also call our Voter Hotline at 1-833-VOTE4NC (1-833-868-3462).
If you have any questions about Voting by Mail, please give our Voter Assistance Hotline a call at 1-833-868-3462!
Our team is standing by to help.