North Carolina Democratic Party (NCDP) Chair Bobbie Richardson released the following statement in response to the December jobs report:
“Today, thanks to President Biden and Democrats’ leadership, our economy is stronger than it was before the pandemic. Since President Biden took office, over 6.4 million jobs have been created and unemployment is now below 4 percent, the lowest of the pandemic. Across the country and in North Carolina, wages are up, everyone who wants a job can get one, and one of the fastest economic recoveries in history continues to power ahead.
“This record economic recovery is due to significant steps taken by the Biden-Harris administration to drive down the price of meat and poultry, dramatically ease supply chain bottlenecks, and ensure Americans can safely celebrate the holiday season with loved ones. While President Biden and Democrats remain laser-focused on creating an economy with more growth, higher wages, and more opportunity for all, Republicans are seizing every opportunity to root against our country’s remarkable economic comeback.”
In 2021, the Biden-Harris administration got our country and North Carolina’s economy back on track:
- The unemployment rate fell to a historically low level of 3.9%, which is the largest calendar year decrease in unemployment in history.
- 6.4 million jobs were created, gaining 84% of the jobs that were lost during the pandemic.
- Our country saw the largest yearly increase in labor force participation since 1996.
- The Biden-Harris administration dramatically reduced hunger and child poverty, worker wages rose, and our economy rebounded faster than anyone predicted.
- An average of 537,000 jobs were created per month.
- Applications for new small businesses are up by 30% from before the pandemic.