After Senate Republicans pulled out all the stops to delay COVID relief, North Carolina Republican Senators Thom Tillis and Richard Burr voted against the American Rescue Plan even as the pandemic fuels economic turmoil in their home state and the legislation remains overwhelmingly popular.
North Carolina Democratic Party Chair Bobbie Richardson released the following statement.
“Help is on the way. While the Biden-Harris administration and Democrats have delivered on their promise to send direct relief to the people of North Carolina, rebuild the economy, and turn the corner on this pandemic, Senators Thom Tillis and Richard Burr have once again put politics over helping North Carolinians struggling during the pandemic. From putting checks in the pockets of families, to providing funding for vaccines, schools, and small businesses, the American Rescue Plan is urgently necessary and incredibly popular. It’s exactly what North Carolina needs during this crisis, but Tillis and Burr have turned their back on their constituents.”
Learn more about what Senators Richard Burr and Thom Tillis voted against.
WSOC: “The White House estimates the House’s American Rescue Plan will provide North Carolina with $5.3 billion in state fiscal relief, $3.8 billion in local fiscal relief and more than $3.9 billion in relief for K-12 schools, according to figures shared with Channel 9.”
- $1,400 checks for people making under $75,000 and $2,800 checks for married couples making under $150,000.
- Additional relief of up to $1,600 per child through the Child Tax Credit to the families of 924,000 children, lifting 137,000 children out of poverty
- Additional relief of up to nearly $1,000 through the Earned Income Tax Credit to 603,000 childless workers, including many in frontline jobs
- Monthly increase in nutrition assistance of about $27 per person for 1,463,000 people, according to the most recent estimates
- Marketplace health insurance premiums that are $800 lower per month for a family of four earning $120,000 per year
The overwhelming majority of Americans, including more than half of Republicans, support President Biden’s American Rescue Plan.
- According to a new Morning Consult poll, 76 percent of Americans say they support President Biden’s stimulus package.
- That same poll shows that more than half of Republican voters support the plan. By a two-to-one margin, Republicans support the plan 60 percent to 30 percent.