April 9, 2020/Press
Tillis and Trump Trying to Rewrite the Record After Failing to Respond to Coronavirus, Applauding Chinese Government & Sending PPE to China
Senator Tillis regularly applauded the administration’s failed response to the growing coronavirus threat even while President Trump thanked the Chinese government for their “transparency” and his administration shipped critical personal protective equipment to China and other foreign countries.
Now, as the administration’s failures continue to mount — including new reports today that show that the federal stockpile of protective equipment is nearly depleted and the federal government is ending support for coronavirus testing sites as the pandemic nears its peak — Senator Tillis is desperately trying to rewrite the record.
As President Trump and the administration spent months applauding the Chinese government and even sent valuable equipment to China, Tillis praised the administration’s actions:
- January and February: Trump Receives “Ominous” Warnings While He “Played Down” the Virus. “U.S. intelligence agencies were issuing ominous, classified warnings in January and February about the global danger posed by the coronavirus while President Trump and lawmakers played down the threat and failed to take action that might have slowed the spread of the pathogen, according to U.S. officials familiar with spy agency reporting.” [Washington Post]
- January 24: Trump Thanked China for “Their Efforts and Transparency.” “The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!” [Twitter]
- February 7: The Trump Administration Donates 18 Tons of Medical Supplies to China. “This week the State Department has facilitated the transportation of nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to the Chinese people, including masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials. These donations are a testament to the generosity of the American people.” [State Department]
- February 7: Trump Praises President Xi of China. “Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus.” [Twitter]
- March 11: Tillis Says President Trump “Displayed Decisive Leadership.” “President @realDonaldTrump displayed decisive leadership tonight in outlining steps he is taking to protect the physical and economic health of our nation against the threat of the coronavirus.” [Twitter]
- March 12: Tillis Says Trump’s “Taking Every Step He Can” on Coronavirus. “I think the President’s taking every step he can to help the health and safety of the people of the United States.” [WYFF]
- March 27: Trump Again Praises President Xi of China. “Just finished a very good conversation with President Xi of China. Discussed in great detail the CoronaVirus that is ravaging large parts of our Planet. China has been through much & has developed a strong understanding of the Virus. We are working closely together. Much respect!” [Twitter]
North Carolinians are facing a shortage of PPE and a lack of tests because President Trump failed to prepare for this virus, failed to respond, and failed to secure PPE by shipping supplies out of the U.S. even as the pandemic grew — all while praising China for its transparency. And Tillis applauded the administration at every turn.
Senator Tillis’ new line is nothing more than a desperate, election year attempt to rewrite the record rather than face the administration’s own failures.