Today marks two years since President Biden was sworn into office. Since then, under his leadership, Democrats have delivered time and again for working families – a stark contrast with how Republicans led when they were in power.
“What a difference two years makes. President Biden, Governor Cooper, and Democrats brought us out of the pandemic, lowered costs, helped create jobs, and always put working families over special interests. Democrats’ leadership couldn’t draw a starker contrast with how Trump and a GOP-controlled Congress used their power in 2017 and 2018: passing tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans and big corporations and caving to special interests like Big Pharma,” said NCDP Chair Bobbie Richardson.
As a reminder, In 2017-2018, Republicans put special interests first and left working families behind:
- Gave Tax Giveaways to the Ultra-Wealthy and Big Corporations
- Offshored American Jobs: Created new incentives for corporations to ship American jobs overseas.
- Attacked Americans’ Health Care: Repeatedly voted to gut the Affordable Care Act to kick tens of millions Americans off their health care and end protections for as many as 133 million Americans with preexisting conditions.
- Failed to Deliver on Lowering Prescription Drug Prices and Infrastructure
- Ungovernable chaos: Shut down the government twice because of basic inability to govern.
- Appointed Anti-Choice, Anti-Worker Judges: Appointed the right-wing Supreme Court majority that paved the way for Republicans to criminalize abortion and has ruled with big corporations over workers.
- Stood with NRA Over Reducing Gun Violence: Sided with the gun lobby and manufacturers by revoking commonsense gun safety protections.
- Eroded America’s standing on the world stage: Cozied up to authoritarian leaders, weakened relationships with NATO allies, and withdrew from the International Paris Climate Agreement to stand with big polluters.
Meanwhile, in the first two years, the Biden-Harris Administration and Democrats delivered results with an economic agenda that is on the side of workers, here’s a sample:
- Record Job Growth: Strongest two years for job growth on record, unemployment matching 50-year low, annual inflation has come down for the past six months in a row, and a record number of Americans have health insurance.
- Lowering Costs for Families: Inflation Reduction Law to lower prescription drug costs, lower health care premiums and energy costs, take historic climate action, and force wealthy corporations to pay their fair share – all while reducing the deficit.
- Fixing Our Nation’s Infrastructure: Bipartisan Infrastructure Law is rebuilding roads and bridges, providing clean drinking water, and expanding access to high-speed internet.
- Making More in America: More companies are reinvesting in American manufacturing – creating 750,000 good-paying jobs, with an historic $300 billion in investments in new factories.
- Improving Health Care for Veterans: Passed the PACT Act to strengthen benefits for veterans and their families exposed to toxic burn pits.
- Reducing Gun Violence: Passed the first significant gun safety law in nearly 30 years.
- Providing Historic Student Loan Relief: Providing student debt relief to those who need it most.
- Appointing Historic Court Nominees: Appointed Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson as the first Black woman on the Supreme Court, along with a record number of diverse federal judges in his first two years.
- Rebuilding the Global Coalition: Restored our standing on the world stage, and led our allies to support Ukraine and democracy worldwide, making the world a safer and steadier place.