Yesterday marked one year since President Biden and Vice President Harris took office. From the American Rescue Plan to the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, the Biden-Harris administration delivered major legislative wins that are directly impacting the Tar Heel State.
Over the past year, the American Rescue Plan has brought critical relief for North Carolina families by providing cities, schools, and businesses the resources they need – getting our economy back on track.
The passage of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will continue to build upon this record economy recovery – creating jobs to repair and rebuild our roads and bridges, expand high-speed internet access, and execute public transit projects that will make our state more equitable for all.
See below for more on how President Biden has delivered for North Carolina throughout his first year in office:
The Daily Reflector: Bobbie Richardson: Biden Has Delivered for North Carolinians
- This time last year, North Carolina was battling multiple crises along with the rest of our country. The pandemic, impacting the health of over 1.7 million North Carolinians, was at its height. Our economy was in a tailspin, with North Carolina’s unemployment rate at 5.9 percent. And after an attack on American democracy at our nation’s capital, the political divide across our country and state was more palpable than ever.
- When Joe Biden took office a year ago on January 20, 2021, he promised to lead us out of these unprecedented challenges and get our country — and economy — back on track. Fast-forward almost 365 days later, and North Carolinians are seeing the results of the Biden-Harris administration’s hard work to tackle these crises head-on.
- Within a matter of weeks, President Biden and Democrats worked to immediately address our country and state’s health and economic crises by passing the American Rescue Plan. This once-in-a-generation legislation brought critical relief for North Carolina families by providing cities, schools, and businesses the resources they needed to prevent our economy from shutting down.
- Just take a look at the facts. In the past year, our country’s economy added 6.4 million jobs — the most of any first-year president in history. When President Biden took office, the U.S. unemployment rate was 6.3%. Today, it’s 3.9%, even though before the American Rescue Plan the U.S. was not projected to reach 3.9% unemployment until 2025. And in North Carolina, the unemployment rate was 5.9% in January of 2021. Now, it’s 3.9%.
- Legislation like the passage of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will continue to build upon this record economy recovery. In the Research Triangle, the bill will rebuild our roads to improve traffic and congestion as the region attracts more businesses, jobs and residents. In Western and Eastern North Carolina, broadband will finally be expanded.