It’s Earth Day, and to celebrate, President Biden is signing an Executive Order to expand the Biden-Harris administration’s historic and bold efforts to combat the climate crisis, make our nation more resilient to extreme weather, and strengthen local economies in North Carolina and across the country.
“Tackling the climate crisis has been a top priority for the Biden-Harris administration from the get-go. While President Biden, Governor Cooper and Democrats are following through on their commitments to deal with an existential threat to our planet, Republicans don’t believe in science and are turning a blind eye to future generations,” said NCDP Spokesperson Ellie Dougherty.
Since day one, President Biden has worked to deliver on his campaign promise to tackle the climate crisis:
- Under President Biden’s leadership, the U.S. rejoined the Paris Agreement and restored U.S. leadership on the world stage.
- President Biden created the first-ever National Climate Task Force, with more than 25 Cabinet-level leaders working together to achieve bold goals to combat climate change:
- Reducing U.S. greenhouse gas emissions 50-52% below 2005 levels in 2030
- Reaching 100% carbon pollution-free electricity by 2035
- Achieving a net-zero emissions economy by 2050
- Delivering 40% of the benefits from federal investments in climate and clean energy to disadvantaged communities
- The Biden-Harris Administration has taken critical steps to reduce emissions, increase resilience, advance environmental justice, and achieve true energy security.
- President Biden and Vice President Harris also made climate action and environmental justice a centerpiece of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, including the largest investments ever in:
- Upgrading the power grid
- Improving public transit
- Investing in zero-emission transit and school buses
- Installing a nationwide EV charging network
- Cleaning up legacy pollution
- Replacing lead pipes
- Delivering clean water