Raleigh – Senator Tillis skipped a hearing last week to attend a political fundraiser, a stunningly hypocritical move given that he and his campaign “attacked his then-opponent for doing the same thing in 2014,” calling it “absolutely unacceptable” and “unbelivabl[e].” The hearing discussed “bills addressing veterans’ mental health care, homeless veterans and a bill that would address exposure to potentially toxic substances at Camp Lejeune,” yet Senator Tillis skipped out on his day job to boost his lagging fundraising amid a “Republican civil war.” But the hypocrisy didn’t stop there. On Friday, “Senator Hypocrisy (R-N.C.)” took credit for “confirming well-qualified judges, most recently Ken Bell of N.C.,” when in fact he missed the vote. The hypocrisy runs deep, but then again, that’s what Senator Tillis is best known for – saying one thing while doing the exact opposite.
NCDP spokesman Robert Howard released the following statement in response:
“Senator Tillis again put his political self interest ahead of North Carolina, cashing big checks at a fundraiser rather than show up for a Senate hearing on critical issues facing veterans and victims of toxic exposure at Camp Lejeune. When he attacked his opponent for the same thing in 2014, Senator Tillis said she had failed to do her job – what’s he got to say for himself now?”
WBTV: Tillis skipped Senate VA Committee hearing to attend fundraiser in Greensboro
By Nick Ochsner
May 27, 2019
- Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC) missed a hearing of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee last week to attend a fundraiser in Greensboro.
- Tillis is a member of the committee, which held a hearing last Wednesday afternoon to consider a range of legislation, including bills addressing veterans’ mental health care, homeless veterans and a bill that would address exposure to potentially toxic substances at Camp Lejeune, a Marine base in eastern North Carolina.
- Later on Wednesday, Tillis missed a number of floor votes in the Senate, including one to confirm a new federal judge in the Western District of North Carolina.
- When asked why Tillis decided to skip the VA Committee hearing, a spokesman for the senator did not directly answer the question.
- Tillis’ decision to skip Wednesday’s hearing to raise money for his political campaign comes after he attacked his then-opponent for doing the same thing in 2014.
- The New York Times: Opinion: Senator Hypocrisy (R-N.C.)
- Washington Examiner: Pence heads to N.C. to rescue Sen. Thom Tillis from primary challenge
- News & Observer: Raleigh businessman challenging Tillis in GOP Senate primary airing TV ads this week
- Fayetteville Observer: Editorial: Tillis performs an Olympic gold flip-flop
- Charlotte Observer: Editorial: Thom Tillis deserts himself for Trump
- CBC: Editorial: Sen. Tillis delivers flip-flop for the ages
- Greensboro News & Record: LTE: Sen. Tillis disappoints with his vote reversal
- The Dispatch: LTE: Weak-spined Tillis bows to Trump
- National Journal: The GOP’s Spineless Caucus